Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Extreme Makeover: Pastor Edition

I've been wanting to help my dear friend Elizabeth (our pastor's wife) update her kitchen. I offered to paint the walls and lay down new peel and stick tiles while they were away on summer vacation. When my dad got wind of the project he wanted to take it a little further and started asking if cabinets need to be replaced. Hmm... what did he have in mind?Before they left for vacation I checked with her: "if we wanted to do a little more than paint and stick on tiles would that be alright?" Her response of "Jill, you go ahead and do as much as you want" gave us the blank check to have a ball. And we did!!!

It didn't stop there... friends and people from the church blessed them with new appliances, light fixtures, a handmade quilt, and even a new farmhouse style dining table with a bench perfect for their 4 children. And there's more... the cabinets were filled with all new dishes, glasses, utensils, bakeware, gadgets, small appliances, even an 11-piece stainless steel cookset.

But wait... we couldn't stop in the kitchen, so we got busy in the living room, laundry room, family room, cleaning, re-arranging and decorating. Then more painting, and a new mailbox, we just couldn't stop. Good thing they were coming home. This had to end somewhere.

They have shown us God's love through their sacrificial service and we were blessed to shower them back with a small part of what God has given us.

1 comment:

The Bernards Family said...

What a great post!! I loved reading it.
I was hoping to see more of the details in pics...I really like the paint color in the kitchen. AND what a nice working "triangle" you made for her in there! :o)